Xgl/Xegl future?

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Aug 24 09:59:28 PDT 2005

Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 17:49 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:

>>>So can a GL based compositing manager.
>>
>>No. Not with current Xservers. No way to get YUV / YUY2 data in native
>>format. This isn't easily possible to implement, either, as the PutImage
>>call does not have to completely fill a Window, and RGB data can be
>>drawn over it afterwards as well.
>

> Obviously a GL compositing manager wouldn't be doing the YUV to RGB
> conversion, since the compositing manager is at the wrong level.  It
> should be done in the XV handler of the driver in the DDX.  It's been
> done in several KAA (aka EXA) drivers before, using the graphics
> hardware for scaling.
>
> GL isn't needed to do this.

Just FYI, there's the GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture extension that let's you
pass a YCbCr texture image to GL.  The YCbCr -> RGB conversion is done
by the hardware when the texture is applied to a polygon.

Arbitrary color-space conversion can also be done with fragment
programs nowadays.

Using the GL hardware for that kind of stuff seems pretty interesting.

-Brian