Xft subpixel rendering patch

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Aug 28 12:00:37 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 20:47 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> I don't think it's fair to call them terrible hints. The font does
> contain a table that tells the rasterizer not to antialias at small
> ppems. If you antialias it anyway, you get what you deserve ...

I suppose, but counting on the anti-dropout code to ensure legible
glyphs seems a bit lazy to me. Times New Roman is one of the only
"professionally hinted" fonts I've seen with this particular problem.

You should see what the outlines look like when hinted at small pixel
sizes, it's a bit comical and at the same time amazing that the
monochrome rasterizer generates usable output from them.

-keith