Input device design (3)

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Mon Aug 29 10:27:37 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 02:45:07AM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
>   The X server could monitor a special device such as /dev/sysconfig or
>   a known ip address or socket so that if the user was to unplug/plug
>   mice, keyboards, or any other hardware, the kernel or user-space
>   programs or a daemon could write notification messages to it.

Sounds weird.  You'd like to have in the X server all the
system-dependant code to be able to read the state of the input
devices, but not the code to be notified of their existence?  Strange.

It's unclear to me what your problem is, exactly.  Is it
getting/handling hotplug events, or is it the routing decisions (as is
this mouse goes to this server only, or this keyboard uses this
keymap) ?  These are two different and somewhat orthogonal problems.

  OG.