blurred fonts

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Dec 1 00:05:19 PST 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 08:39:28 +0100 Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> babbled:

> Le jeudi 01 d$(D+1(Bcembre 2005 $(D+"(B 10:11 +0900, Carsten Haitzler a $(D+1(Bcrit :
>
> > i dont run 1600x1200 just to have fonts double in size so the display is
> > "smooth" because some fool thinks text needs to be N inches high. i want my
> > fonts N pixels high everywhere i go. that's my preference. if i run a
> > stupidly high res on a really small screen - that's my business and the
> > fonts are the physically small... but that's how i likes it. :)
>
> So change your desktop/apps to be able to set the default font size in
> pixels as well as points, instead of relying on the old broken behaviour
> and forcing this behaviour on everyone. That's the only way you can have
> people like you, which want a constant pixel size, and people like me,
> which want constant cm size, happy.

i'm forcing it on myself - i make MY xserver run at 75dpi. it's MY choice :)
i'm not FORCING it on you. :)

> You're asking to keep the brokeness just because you're used to it
> instead of trying to get what you really want implemented. I'm sorry but
> right now apps display "12pt" which is not a pixel value and you have no
> right to ask points to be redefined as pixels just because it suits your
> particular use case. Having different units is one thing HTML got right.

i have every right to ask whatevere i want from MY display here. i was
explaingin that there IS a use for FORCING the server to a fixed DPI - for
old/broken/special apps. i never said that YOU have to do it or everyone needs
to. i did very much say that for ME and MY needs and MY wants and MY vision...
i likes my 50 gallons to the hogs head. :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
$BMg9%B?(B
Tokyo, Japan ($BEl5~(B $BF|K\(B)