Gnome & EXA - Any progress ?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Dec 4 10:05:15 PST 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 08:54, morgoth6 at box43.pl wrote:
> Hell[o]
>
> > I wonder is someone take a deeper look at this problems with GTK (Or
> > maybe Gnome itself) with EXA enabled ? I give another try to EXA after
> > upgrade Xorg and some of the Gnome components but it is still dead slow
> > when using EXA (With or without composite)
>
> A small update to my previous report. Today I upgraded to KDE 3.5 and it
> seems the same problem with EXA appear in it. It is usable, but when I run
> any application that draws some text to root window (For example conky or
> torsmo) it starts to crawl. Looking at top output shows me that X process
> is taking 80% of the CPU time when conky or torsmo are updating contents of
> the window (Can be adjusted with update_interval option) Maybe this would
> help to trace this problem. The release date for 6.9/7.0 is realy near now

Sorry, performance problems in EXA - which is still clearly marked as
experimental - are simply not going to hold up 7.0.  In fact at this point
unless EXA is actively misrendering or crashing on you it's unlikely any
changes will be made to it before 7.0.

Not that that's a big deal; releases in a modular world are much easier, so as
performance fixes are made they will get released pretty quickly.

In general, statements like "EXA is slow for me", even when describing a use
case, are not sufficient information to determine where the slowdown is
occuring.  At a minimum, use a profiling tool like sysprof or oprofile to get
some actual numbers on what code paths are being hit most.

If you're looking for a more interesting challenge, it would be a neat hack if
the server could collect its own statistics on the runtime of various X
requests.

- ajax