Xorg, Leave my xorg.conf alone!

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 13:45:16 PST 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 03:58 pm, Kim Schulz wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:37:27 -0500
>
> "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 05:11:42PM +0100, Kim Schulz wrote:

> > > hmm well they sent me over here :-) ohh well seems like I can get
> > > around it with file permissions.
> >
> > Well, I suspect you were talking to the wrong people there.  :-)
> >
> > Which distro is this?
>
> Mandriava, and after some more talking to them + others I have come to
> the conclusion that it must be udev that gives the problem
I also had MDV overwriting xorg.conf when harddrake probed for a new monitor
config on a laptop that was variously connected/disocnnected to an external
monitor.  The service is pointless for a laptop where you rarely swap out
hardware.  Probing for USB devices/drives is not handled by this service, but
rather by udev so you don't want to touch udev.
Paul