AW: Problems with x.org under ubuntu/debian

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Dec 6 01:44:53 PST 2005

René Rebe wrote:
> Hi,

>>>after that, I

>>>from VGA to LCD...

>>>the radeon driver xorg 6.8.x disabled bios output switching since the
>>>bios messes with the chip behind the driver's back.  You can re-enable
>>>the old behavior by grabbing xorg from cvs (or a 6.9/7.0 RC) and
>>>enabling the "bioshotkeys" option.
>>
>>Yes, but I don't use the radeon driver, I use the ati driver, because the
>>notebook has an ati mobile graphic chip. I tried mach64 but it has no effect...
>

> Then, why do you ask here at all? Ask Ati about their binary only drivers

If he truly means the "ati" driver, as in:

      Driver "ati"

then he's using the open source ATI wrapper driver which autoloads
the proper underlying atimisc, r128 or radeon driver.  The proprietary
ATI driver is named "fglrx".

 From his mention of "I tried mach64", my guess is that he literally
tried to use:

      Driver "mach64"

which of course does not exist, so would not work.  Then tried "ati",
which autoloads the "atimisc" driver which contains ATI Mach64 support.

The proprietary ATI 'fglrx' driver does not support Mach64 or Rage 128
chips, so if I'm reading his message right, he's not using the
proprietary driver.