Looking to change dead keys handling

Sander Marechal s.marechal at jejik.com
Wed Dec 7 15:42:31 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm looking to change the way how dead keys are handled but I canot find
what I'm looking for. I've been browsing the web and the X11 config
files for two weeks now. Perhaps it's not even possible through config
files and requires it code changes.

Anyway, here's what I had hoped to change:

1) if a dead key is pressed, followed by a character where it cannot be
applied to, it should output both characters instead of beep and output
nothing (i.e. a ' and a q should produce 'q and not a beep).

2) I would like to disable dead keys for certain characters in my
keymap. For example, ' and s should produce 's and not ś, but ' and e
should still produce é.

I have no idea if this can be done through config files, keymaps or if
it needs code changes. I'd really like some pointers on this. The reason
I want to do this is to produce a keymap that resembles the windows US
international deadkeys keymap. It has far fewer deakey/character
combinations which makes it very usable for us Dutch people (who type 's
a lot).

Thanks in advance!

--
Sander Marechal