X won't start; consumes all CPU

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Dec 11 22:50:50 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:10:08PM -0800, Andy Ritger wrote:

> Ross, there was a bug that was fixed recently in the nv driver that
> had a symptom somewhat similar to what you describe.  It may be
> worth grabbing the 6.9 RC3 Xorg server and testing with that.
>
> I hope that helps,
> - Andy

The latest Debian package I could find identified itself as RC2, and
it still seems to have the problem.  (I built it from source).  Was
the bug fixed that recently?

On the plus side, I was able to use the card with the proprietary
nvidia driver and the vga driver, confirming that the problem is in
the nv driver.

BTW, is it possible to build just a driver, or does one need to build
the whole tree?

Ross