Howto export/import X

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 16:15:56 PST 2005

Greetings all;

I have an older FC2 install here, with a somewhat out of date ssh
installed.

I have an install of bdi-4.30, debian sarge based, with a slighlty
newer ssh on it, but the X is XFree86, 4.3-something.

How can I get these two boxes to accept each other X so I can sit here
in comfort and run that box in the shop, which is at an ambient temp
of maybe 20F?

This ssh upchucks on the -Y option, and the other one apparently
doesn't like the -X option, or this X is refuseing the connection, the
actual error message I see from the other end.  From here, logged in
with the -X option, an attempt to run an x based app exits quickly
with this error:
------------
gene at shop:~/emc2$ sudo scripts/emc.run
Starting emc...
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
bad image file /home/gene/emc2/emc2.gif
Version:  1.39
Machine:  EMC-HAL
iniFind is depreciated
Version:  1.39
Machine:  EMC-HAL
sizeof(emcmot_struct_t) (total shmem): 167436
sizeof(emcmot_command_t):      236
sizeof(emcmot_status_t):       984
sizeof(emcmot_debug_t):        157940
sizeof(emcmot_config_t):       52
sizeof(emcmot_error_t):        8212
sizeof(emcmot_joint_t):        6584
sizeof(emcmot_joint_status_t): 84
sizeof(CUBIC_STRUCT):          136
sizeof(emcmot_comp_t):         6164
emcTaskInit: adding user-defined function ../nc_files/M101
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: invalid command name "option"
    while executing
"option readfile $f startupFile"
    ("foreach" body line 3)
    invoked from within
"foreach f {TkEmc configs/TkEmc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/TkEmc}
{
    if {[file exists $f]} {
        option readfile $f startupFile
        bre..."
    (file "/home/gene/emc2/tcl/tkemc.tcl" line 53)
Shutting down and cleaning up EMC...
Cleanup done
gene at shop:~/emc2$

Is there any help for this?

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this