Fwd: Re: [Expert] xorg problem w/ mandriva & thinkpad

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 19:03:59 PST 2005

Help please.
TIA
Paul

Subject: Re: [Expert] xorg problem w/ mandriva & thinkpad
Date: Thursday 22 December 2005 10:02 pm
From: Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>
To: expert at mandrivalinux.org

On Thursday 22 December 2005 08:19 pm, Jason Allen wrote:
> Paul Kaplan wrote:
> >I use a Thinkpad T40 with an ATI Radeon M7 7500 graphics card.
> > Mandriva2006 installed with xorg 6.9 cvs, but xinerama didn't work with a
> > Sony X94 external monitor (nothing else to test with).  Everything worked
> > fine when I down graded to 6.8.2 that came with LE2005.  I just tested
> > the cooker 6.9 final version, but xinerama still didn't work.  I heard
> > there were problems with 6.9 and ATI.
> >
> >Does anyone know whether this is a real problem with xorg 6.9 or a problem
> >with Mandriva's configuration of 6.9?  Any thoughts on how to fix?  6.9 is
> >needed for some other things I'd like to install.
> >
> >TIA
> >Paul
>
> Paul,
>
> I'm going through this same thing myself.  I posted a thread about this
> in the last few days (Dell Latitude D600 w/ a Radeon 9000).
> Unfortunately I've been unable to find a fix so far, nor have I found
> out if the problem lies in xorg 6.9 or with the ATI drivers.  Something
> like a dual monitor setup seems like it should be simple to setup, and
> KEPT setup over time.. yet I digress.  Hopefully we'll find an answer soon!
>
> Jason

When I startx with 6.9 and an xorg.conf file that supports xinerama on the
same hardware with 6.8.2, I'm pretty sure that X is putting out the correct
sized image (width = internal 1024 + external 1280), but the monitor reports
that it isn't receiving a signal.  Moreover, with xinerama disabled, I can't
convince the external monitor to receive anything other than a 1024x768
signal, even though it is 1280x1024.