XvMC 2.0?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:53:03 PST 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:06:48 -0800, Kendall Bennett
<KendallB at scitechsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We have been doing some work to get motion compensation working on ATI
> hardware in our drivers, and have added some extensiosn to the XvMC
> interface to make the CPU side processing more efficient for ATI hardware
> on slow CPU boxes.
>
> Once this project is complete we will want to submit the modified header
> files into the X.org tree, so it would probably be a good time to
> consider wrapping up a new XvMC 2.0 API specification. Lots of stuff was
> never completed in XvMC 1.0, such as the ability for the client app to be
> completely independent of which client side library needs to be used. The
> work Thomas Hellström has done on the XvMC Wrapper library provides a
> clean solution for this part of the problem.
>
> There is also the VLD support that Thomas built for the Unichrome project
> that might be nice to get standardised as well.
>
> Finally we could consider whether we want to add network transparency to
> the XvMC API, as well as find a mechanism so that the XvMC client apps do
> not need to run as root like the I810 sample driver does (I am not sure
> about the Unichrome client libraries).
>
> Any takers to help work on this?

I'd like to help out, but unfortunately, I know very little about the
video decoding pipeline, other than what's needed for overlays.  At
some point I may start to resurrect XvMC support for savages (some
point, probably being a long ways down the road).  Does anyone know of
any good resources for that?

Alex