Latest CVS code and fglrx problem

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Feb 3 16:05:12 PST 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 18:38, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > I just installed the latest X.org CVS code and I have
> > run into problems with the latest Beta fglrx driver from
> > ATi. Previously it worked fine with a CVS installation
> > from December. The problem is that I get many unresolved symbols,
> > as you can see in the attached Xorg.log.
>
> fglrx isn't compatible with CVS Head, just with 6.8.x branches...
>
> CVS head has moved to elfloader and I think this broke fglrx which is
> dllloader module..

Backwards but otherwise correct.

If you're feeling truly adventurous you can relink the fglrx driver to
transform it into a dlloader module.  The magic spell (in principle) is
something like:

gcc -shared -nostdlib -o fglrx_drv.so fglrx_drv.o -Bstatic -lgcc

and repeat this for every module that comes with fglrx (think there's a
customized drm module too).  However this is so _very_ unsupported that your
cat is already looking at you nervously for even thinking about it.  ATI will
assuredly not support you if you do this (for now anyway) and neither will I.

A similar transform is reported to work for the nvidia driver as well.  Same
warning applies.  You are *completely* and *totally* on your own if you do
this.  The image you should have here is of elder gods swarming overhead,
sulfur raining down, plants wilting, heads of puppies exploding, your SO
leaving you, your car running out of gas and your shirts turning pink in the
wash.  If I hear that you tried this with one of the closed drivers and it
didn't work my response will be to laugh maniacally, and the rest of the list
doesn't want to hear about it either.

Beware of the leopard, in other words.

- ajax