Status of xserver/debrix/modular tree?

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Thu Feb 10 19:09:54 PST 2005

Ely Levy wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Carl Worth wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:34:03 +0100, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>>
>>>Toolkits (QT and GTK) are not helping out too.  GTK appears
>>>to be moving to Cairo, while Trolltech said they would have
>>>used XCB if it was ready in time for QT 4.0.
>>
>>I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. You claim
>>that QT and GTK are not "helping out", and then provide as evidence
>>the fact that GTK and QT are both working with two very interesting
>>new pieces of X-related infrastructure, (cairo and XCB). The evidence
>>seems to support a conclusion that the toolkits are quite aware of
>>what's going on and are participating.
>

> The question people don't know the answer to is when xcb would be done?
> years?months?days?which is why no one can plan ahead.

Works fine here, except for occasional assertion failures,
such as:

xclock: xcb_in.c:296: _xcb_in_read_packet: Assertion `rep->data == 0' failed.

> If we go and say ok xcb would be included in the next version of X
> (yea yea not 6.8.x), then toolkits would start moving to it, if we'll just
> suddeny add it it would take them a long time to respond.

> BTW anyone know how xcb is doing?they are the only project who gave no
> answer about puting the cia script in their cvs so I cant even see the
> commits normally;)

I have it checked out and see very little activity on it.
Works fine with the libX11 in xlibs...  Didn't test Cairo
over xcb recently.

> We have serious lack of a roadmap/plan. or at least it's not being made
> public.

Yeah... xcb would let us clean up a very dark corner of the
X11 infrastructure and nobody even knows about it outside
this list.

Has anyone tried contacting Trolltech about using xcb in
4.0.0?  Maybe it's way too late...

\X/  http://www.develer.com/