Dual Head Support on Neomagic driver?

Nicholas Cullingham ncullingham at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:14:07 PST 2005

I have an older laptop running mandrake 10.1, the distro includes 6.7.0.

I spent most of yesterday trying to track how to set up dual head support for
the laptop.  I found a number of documents on how to set up the xorg.conf
file, including the parts about making more than one "monitor" "device" and
"screen" sections.  The card I'm using is the MagicMedia 256AV (NM2200), and
has wonderful support for the single builtin display, and I have no problems
with the clone display for an external monitor.

So now, after reading pretty much everything I could find, I looked more
carefully at the neomagic driver man page (perhaps I should have done that
earlier) at http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/neomagic.4.html (I know the
versions don't match up, but the document seems to have never changed
anyway).  It doesn't specifically say that the dual-head option is supported.
The card is capable of dual-head, the function currently works in Win98.

Sorry if this isn't the best place to post. I hope this question is somewhat
straightforward: Does the neomagic driver allow for dual-head mode?

Gratefully,
Nick