ATI Radeon 7000

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:33:49 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:27:21 -0200, Alexandre Teixeira
<ateixeira at insignesoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi members,
>
> I am looking for information about running ATI Radeon 7000 Dual Head in
> two independent monitors, in other words, I need diferent information
> being showed in the monitors.

yes this feature is supported and there are many variations to
accomplish that.  There's "regular" dualhead and mergedfb.  with
"regular" dualhead the driver loads twice, once for each head and
video ram is divided into two framebuffers, one for each head. With
regular dualhead you can either run two independant heads :0.0 and
:0.1or as one big desktop using the xinerama option.  Mergedfb has two
heads looking into the same big framebuffer, so it's all one big
desktop (like xinerama).

See my dualhead page for more info on dualhead support in xorg.
http://www.botchco.com/alex/dualhead/

Alex