Xgl page - http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Xgl

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Feb 27 21:41:30 PST 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 23:35, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:51:27 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 February 2005 21:33, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> > > Im afraid nvidia users are out of luck. You need to ask nvidia for a
> > > standalone opengl first. There is no way they will make a dri driver.
> >
> > Wrong.  Xglx works just fine under the nVidia drivers.  It doesn't run
> > standalone yet; but then, that's true for the DRI drivers too (Dave
> > Airlie's recent work on miniglx excluded).
>
> I see. I was thinking only of the standalone case, sorry. Well thats
> ultimately where xgl is headed right?

Quite a bit of work stands between where we are now and being able to run Xgl
standalone.  The goal is to do this work in a vendor-neutral manner so that
people will be able to run Xgl standalone no matter what their driver or
video card.  In particular DRI is not going to be a requirement here; it
would be extremely foolish to require DRI, since at least two vendors have
non-DRI GL stacks.

- ajax