[Fwd: Re: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Jan 4 17:54:51 PST 2005

On Maw, 2005-01-04 at 23:46, Roland Mainz wrote:
> The problem is: How can the server deal with the problem ? AFAIK there
> is no way if the client has a large buffer (I am just looking at the
> indirect rendering scenario and the libX11 buffer - which can range from
> 2k up to multiple megabytes (in the case of the Solaris or HP-UX shared
> memory transport; for example you can simply request a 16M buffer via %
> XSUNTRANSPORT="shmem" XSUNSMESIZE="16384" ; export XSUNTRANSPORT
> XSUNSMESIZE # ...)).

The server can implement a variety of solutions - threading, simple
co-routines to allow rendering to be done in batches and other clients
to be fairly treated and so on. XFree used to have problems with complex
2D operations screwing up behaviour and those are now much better
handled. 3D is only fractionally messier in this case.

Alan