Several X servers w/different WM's simultaneously?

Robert Lorentz rlorentz at lucidsoft.org
Tue Jan 11 13:15:38 PST 2005

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:49:36 -0500, Robert Lorentz
><rlorentz at lucidsoft.org> wrote:
>

>>I am trying to run 2 separate X servers with different WM's via 2 video
>>cards and 2 monitors, one server on each.  This works fine launching
>>both from console; but only ONE will display at a time, depending on
>>which one I have 'focused' on via control-alt-shift F7 / F8.  This makes
>>sense on single monitor display, X wouldn't want to bother drawing its
>>screen if you are not able to view it at all.. but in a multiple monitor
>>environment, this doesn't make sense.  Is there any way I can 'fix' this
>>behavior so that both screens will actively display at all times?  Note
>>- the keyboard and mouse are only required to work in one of the X servers.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Robert Lorentz
>>

>configure your xorg.conf for multi-head but don't tell it to use xinerama.
>
>Alex

Maybe I am missing something, I don't see that there is any place I
explicitly would tell X to start in 'multihead' mode.  I can configure 2
video cards, and 2 monitors, and list these as 2 screens.. but then I
would have to run X with this configuration, and I would load a WM which
would control both.  What I want is to have 2 separate WM's, one
'controlling' each of these screens.  Is there a way to have 2 separate
X servers using the same X config which makes them aware of each other
existing somehow?

Robert