Nvidia driver woes + Mesa

Peter Bismuti bismuti at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 06:21:32 PST 2005

>> OpenMotif is the commercial motif and it's free if you are using an
>> open-source OS (ie for Linux in pretty much any case except when youare
>> using the Nvidia binary video drivers which might be borderline).

> I do not understand why you keep trying to convince (ie: scare) others
> with this FUD, other than I guess you *really* dislike closed source
> drivers.  I do not believe the OP was interested in a religeous
> discussion.

We are actually having issues with our Nvidia drivers.  I don't know the
full details, I thought they were all proprietary, but apparently there are
"open" and "closed" Nvidia drivers, at leaset for X.org & XFree86?  (They
won't let XI graphics write one, that really chaps my hide. )

Niether are working for us with Redhat 3.  Each has its own unique problem.
On my machine, I'm running XFree86 (40300? from xdpyinfo) and I can't get an
8-bit pseudo-color visual to display from a remote application, while the
guy next to me can and the only difference seems to be that he is running an
older X server (40200?  sorry, don't have the details) and possibly a
slightly older Nvidia card.

We concluded it was an issue with the Nvidia drivers, mainly because there
had been similar problems.  Are we likely to be correct?  Are there really
problems with Nvidia drivers?  I don't know if I'm running the "open" or
"closed".

There seems to be an Nvidia specific implementation of OpenGL and several
Nvidia extensions, but my gut says to stay away from them as applications
written using them may not port.  Is this correct?