[Savage40] Re: mtrr failure

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Wed Jan 26 08:15:33 PST 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 26.01.2005, 17:23 +0200 schrieb edie at pp.phnet.fi:
> I compiled DRI CVS for Savage (X.org, Mesa and DRM stuff) with instructions from
> dri.sf.net and install it, DRI isn't working. I get this failure (from dmesg):
>
> mtrr: 0x90000000,0x2000000 overlaps existing 0x90000000,0x200000
> mtrr: no more MTRRs available
> [drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 6930 using kernel context 0

The MTRR problem is just a warning, nothing to be worried about. The
drm_unlock error is the result of a different problem. See below.

> My laptop is Acer Aspire 1302xc (VIA,Savage Twister,vanilla 2.6.8.1 and 2.6.10).
>
> Before christmas DRI was working (in X.org and XFree86), it was not very fast. I
> have always used vesafb. Savage DRI worked before christmas with vesafb. Now I
> tryed with vesafb and also with new savagefb, no success with DRI.
>
> (With new savagefb X server starts, but screen is very messed, moving mouse
> cursor makes things even worse. X is useless with my Twister [8d02] and
> savagefb.)

Yes, I tried savagefb briefly and gave up after the first lockup. It's
not playing nice with the Xorg driver, or the Xorg driver is not playing
nice with savagefb. Anyway, I don't have time to look into this right
now.

> What's wrong with my MTRR or savage DRI, why DRI isn't working?
>

>        -edie

The real problem is that your 2D driver is incompatible with the new
kernel module. See your Xorg.0.log, it reports a version mismatch of the
kernel module (though message is misleading because it contains a wrong
version number :-/ ). You need a 2D driver version 2.0.0 or newer. See
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3Savage for the big DRI-related changes
in the Savage driver you may have missed and
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building for updated building
instructions.

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |