XDamage extension over-reports window damage

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 27 00:13:21 PST 2005

Around 15 o'clock on Jan 26, Jonathan Lennox wrote:

> Specifically, I've noticed two problems.  First of all, Xdamage reports
> damage if a window *obscured* by the one I'm monitoring is drawn to.  E.g.,
> if I have output going to an XTerm that is partially obscured by the window
> I'm monitoring, the area of my window that covers the XTerm continually gets
> damage reports.

I think this can probably be fixed; the limitation here is that damage
monitoring occurs only on the target holdin the physical pixels; when two
windows share the same physical target (e.g. the screen), then damage
monitoring on one will see damage done to the other; the trick is to clip
the damage so that it doesn't impact the underlying window.

It can't be fixed in all cases; the damage inside the server is reported
in rectangular units, so some (odd) drawing will still "leak" through to
the underlying window.

> In this case, with raw or delta damage report types, it seems like
> damage reports should be sent just for the area of fvwm2's trim, but instead
> I get a rectangle encompassing the entire window.

Again, damage is internally recorded in rectangular units, so an operation
which ends up reporting only a single large rectangle can appear to damage
the internal window contents.

The guarantee Damage provides is that you will get notification whenever
the contents of the window changes; it doesn't guarantee that you will get
minimal notification.  Changes to the server which reduce overreporting
would be gratefully accepted.

-keith