Input region support in the Shape extension

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jan 28 12:05:49 PST 2005

Around 14 o'clock on Jan 28, Owen Taylor wrote:

> What about the case where the point *is* in the window due to a hole in
> the input region of some overlapping window? I don't quite understand
> why the code in WarpPointer isn't just checking the ancestry of source
> for sprite.win since the x/y being checked is just the pointer position.

Hmm.  A fine question.  Sure looks like we could delete a lot of code this
way.  It could be that it the sprite trace was added purely as an
optimization for XYToWindow after this code was designed.

I think I'll have to create some test cases to validate a replacement for
the WarpPointer checks.  Yay for corner cases.

> (Whether anybody would notice in the remaining lifetime of the universe
> if this was gotten wrong is a different question...)

I've never noticed an application using the source bounds check for
WarpPointer; surely that's a tiny fraction of the existing tiny fraction
of WarpPointer uses.

-keith