License Change for rman in Xorg 6.9 ?

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Fri Jul 1 17:45:53 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:44:54PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> [I've bcc'ed release-wranglers & xorg-arch to catch the attention of anyone
>  who only watches those lists, but figured the main xorg list is the best
>  place for the discussion to take place.]
>
> The current Xorg 6.8 includes in xc/extras/rman the PolygotMan 3.0

I've noticed that.

> (formerly known as RosettaMan) package used for translating man
> pages from nroff to html.   It's mainly used as part of the build,
> which is probably good considering the license it's currently under
> (a "profit is prohibited" license - see the end of
> http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/extras/rman/README-rman?rev=1.1.1.1&view=markup
> ).
>
> Upstream however has released 3.2 with the portions covered by that
> license removed, and the entire package covered by the Artistic License
> of Perl fame instead - which can be seen at:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license.html

Actually
	http://polyglotman.sourceforge.net/

asserts that this has been true for 5 years.

> Does anyone object to replacing the xc/extras/rman directory with the
> new version under the new license for the Xorg 6.9 release?

The "new" version lacks several fixes that I made in December 2003 in XFree86.
I sent Phelps a copy of those changes, but now that your message reminds me,
he did not use any of those (July 2003 is the date for rman 3.2).