Personal xorg-x11 6.8.99.14 rpm packages now available for Fedora Core 4 users

Chris Kurecka ckurecka at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:02:24 PDT 2005

On 7/16/05, Peter Zubaj <pzad at pobox.sk> wrote:
> I had same problem. I found this (not tested) maybe this is what you
> want too.
>
> ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/xorg-x11/6.8.99.14-3/
>
> Peter Zubaj

I tried the FC4 RPMs out, and have been using them for a couple days
now.  Though I needed to get a newer version of glibc from Rawhide,
they seem to be working quite nicely.  It is noticably more responsive
on my P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, ATI AIW Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB machine.  My
only issue thus far in KDE is that turning on shadows with kompmgr is
much faster than before at first, but after a while seemed to slow
down to previous levels or slower.  Restarting X fixes that; for the
time being I just set them back off.

In xorg.conf, under my "Devices" section where my Radeon driver is, I put:

Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "AccelMethod" "exa"

I'm not sure if this is what I need to be using Exa or not; is there
any way to verify?  Would the performance boost I noticed be due to
Exa or something else?  If I need to do something else to enable it,
can I in xorg.conf, or do I need to checkout X.Org CVS?

glxinfo says direct rendering is disabled with the snapshot, and as
said on http://xorg.freedesktop.org/snapshots/README, "Radeon driver
enables tiling by default, turn it off or get Mesa CVS to get working
DRI."  How do I turn tiling off to get hardware GL support back?

Thanks,

Chris Kurecka