ATI Fire GL V3100 and Dual display

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 06:01:07 PDT 2005

On 7/22/05, W Bauske <wsb at paralleldata.com> wrote:

> [...]
>          Load  "extmod"
>          Load  "fbdevhw"
>          Load  "glx"
>          Load  "record"
>          Load  "freetype"
>          Load  "type1"
>          Load  "dri"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>          Driver      "kbd"
>          Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>          Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>          Driver      "mouse"
>          Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier   "Monitor0"
>          VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>          ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
>          HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
>          VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>          Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier   "Monitor1"
>          VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>          ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
>          HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
>          VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>          Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>          Driver      "radeon"
>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>          BoardName   "ATI FireGL V3100"
>          BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>          Option      "MergedFB" "true"
>          Option      "CRT2HSync" "30-67"
>          Option      "CRT2VRefresh" "50-75"
>          Option      "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
>          Option      "MetaModes" "1280x1024-1280x1024 1024x768-1024x768"
> #       Option      "MonitorLayout" "LCD,DVI"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>          Identifier "mergedscreen"
>          Device     "Videocard0"
>          Monitor    "Monitor0"
>          DefaultDepth     24
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     24
>                  Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
>                  Virtual  2560 1024
>          EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
>          Group        0
>          Mode         0666
> EndSection
>

> The Xorg.0.log file is an attachment.
>
> After looking at the log closely, I realized that the radeon driver is switching around
> what is the primary vs secondary "port". The Sceptre monitor is really the primary
> display that the BIOS initializes and the Linux console runs on. The EN7100e is on the
> DVI->VGA adapter and is not initialized at boot. So, this appears to be the problem.
> How to tell the driver to swap them around?

are you still having problems getting the screen to come up or are
your heads just swapped?  if it's just the heads that are swapped,
switch the CRT2Position option to RightOf.  If you are still having
problems getting one of the displays to show an image add:
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT, CRT"
to your device section. That will force both DACs on.  You may also
want to check your dvi-vga adapter.  sometimes they can flake out.

Alex