mouse freezes in Xorg on ASUS P4C800 Deluxe

cengizkirli cengizkirli at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 02:51:43 PDT 2005

On 7/24/05, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 21:36 +0200, cengizkirli wrote:
> > distro: Debian Unstable
> > kernels tested with: 2.6.13-rc3, 2.6.13-rc3-git5, 2.6.13-rc3-mm1
> > compiler used: Debian gcc-4.0.1-2
> > Xorg: Debian xorg-6.8.2-4
> > ASUS P4C800 Deluxe BIOS: 1019 (2005-11-08)
>
> Next time, please use
>
> reportbug xserver-xorg
>
> The Debian package maintainers will forward problem reports upstream as
> appropriate. Thanks.

next time I will but the last time I commented to a Debian bugreport
my brand-new email-address got spam possibly because of the automatic
post of my reply to Usenet. Oh well, life is not easy.

> > with or wihout ACPI enabled (acpi=off or not) the /dev/input/mice USB
> > mouse freezes after not being used for some time and can only be
> > awakened by switching to the text-console and back.
>
> This is a long shot, but this issue might be related to the gcc 4
> overoptimization which mostly affected the vgahw module. Apparently,
> this will be fixed in the next gcc release, 4.0.2 I guess.

I've only compiled the kernel with gcc-4.0.1 not Xorg, those are from
ftp://ftp.de.debian.org.

> > attached you can find all .configs, dmesg from 2.6.13-rc3-git5 and the
> > xorg.conf.
>
> FWIW, the protocol to use for /dev/input/mice with 2.6 kernels is
> technically "ExplorerPS/2", but I doubt that's the cause.

I can try that out but am not confident it works with a normal 3-button mouse
where the wheel is the 3rd button.