[Xgl/Xegl] Input Devices

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Jul 27 03:08:35 PDT 2005

> 2) Use HAL over other hardware detection mechanisms?
> 	Advantages:
> 	Disadvantages:

While hal is pretty standard on linux machines I'm not aware of any other
OS which hal is fully functional on.
If we can make it work on all OS I think its best advantage would be the
fact that X wont need to have hardware detection code.
Anyhow I think still someone else would need to be done for handheld
devices as probebly they don't run hal:)

> 3) Use EVDEV as primary input driver interface? My preliminary research
> of EVDEV leads me to believe this is a powerful and useful mechanism.
> 	Advantages:
> 	Disadvantages:

Linux specific, depends on kernel guys, I'm also not sure how debugged it
is.But is very powerfull and nice interface.
> 4) Which legacy input drivers and device types do we want to support?
> 	Details:

It would be nice to get the functionality of the synaptics driver (which
is GPLed and there for can't be used by other X drivers or enter the X
release).

> 5) How do device settings (mouse acceleration) get set as devices are
> added, replaced, and when switching users (Virtual Terminals)?
> 	Possible strategies:
>

> 6) [Add your own here]

I'm not sure where it should go on your list but there are two topics I
think need to be attended:

First is where the configuration should sit. I think xhotplug should
elimate the need for the input device section almost completly.
I think per user configuration should be kept in some Xresource file by
the user. (Things like mouse speed acceleration tapping and so on).
There is however the problem of supporting 2 Xservers on the same computer
I saw that initial support was added to next release it would be an
intersting problem to decide which X should take over the new device
entered. Maybe one should be primary and one secondary? it would also be
nice if the servers could communicate enough to allow passing of devices
between them (Yea I know few security problems there).

Second, I think we should redo the mouse wheel support and get rid of the
horrible button mapping. We should have zaxis instead. That I think would
simplfy things for both users and programs which now guess 4/5 buttons are
wheel.

One last not so important issue would we want to support multiple mouse
cursors on the same X?

Ely