render improvements

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jun 15 12:57:58 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 20:32 +0200, Lars Knoll wrote:

> I'll try to convince him :)

You don't have to convince him, just make sure your own emacs
configuration can be set to leave my X server files alone :-)

> The problem is that both inside Trolltech and KDE it is the default to remove
> white space at end  of lines when saving. I'll see if I can remove the hook
> that does this for C code.

This policy seems misguided to me, but then I spend a lot of time lookin
at CVS diffs, for which changes of this nature are evil.

> As a reference I attached the patch without the white space changes. It
> basically correctly implements projective transformations (I misunderstood
> this and only implemented affine ones before), fixes some bugs in the
> transformation code and has a  small fix in the convolution code.

Ah, note that the provided diff is also hard to read because there are
some *important* whitespace changes that it ignores.  That's just as bad
as including white space changes which aren't important.  I refer here
to whitespace changes which affect how the code is indented.

> I also expanded some code to get somewhat smaller and faster inner loops. This
> is not very relevant at the moment as the framebuffer reads are limiting us,
> but in the long run with DMA support it will probably start to matter.

Even in the short term we should be able to get the x server to be a lot
smarter about where pixmaps get put so that we don't spend a lot of CPU
cycles waiting for pixels to trickle across the AGP bus.

Thanks again.

-keith