ALT GR

Philipp Sternberg philipp.sternberg at gmx.de
Mon Jun 27 04:17:28 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using an ASUS m2400n Laptop.
after moving from xfree86 to xorg server on a debian sarge (except the
xorg-packages and kde 3.4 packages) i have problems with the "ALT GR"-Key.

Typing a pipe (by hitting ALT-GR and the key with < and > on it) works but it
is not possible to type the euro-symbol or an @ (I have to use copy 'n paste
all the time). The @-Key is on the same key as the letter q (German
key-layout). When i try to type @ by hitting ALT-GR and q i just get a q.
When i try to type the euro-symbol, which is on the same key as the letter e
by hitting ALT-GR and e i just get an e.

As mentioned above i use kde 3.4.0. I don't know how kde influences the
configuration made in xorg.conf. So i tried it with kde-keyboard-layout
switched on and i tried it with kde-keyboard-layout switched off.
When switched off my windows-key didn't work any more.
The problems with @ and euro remain anyway.

This is what my xorg.conf says concerning keyboard layouts

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
	Option		"XkbVariant"	"de"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps,lv3:ralt_switch,altwin:super_win"
EndSection

I have already tried to set Driver to kbd and XkbRules to xorg but niether
combination worked. Adding lv3:ralt_switch to XkbOptions didn't change any of
the keyboard's behaviour.

kwrite /var/log/Xorg.0.log throws two error messages:

(EE) Error loading keymap /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
(EE) Error loading keymap /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm

Any idea how to get the keys working ???

Regards,
Philipp