CVS and fglrx -- success!

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon Mar 7 12:26:10 PST 2005

Ethan Glasser-Camp wrote:
> I foolishly attempted to try getting fglrx to work with CVS Xorg. I
> managed to get it work. I'm going to post my success story, which starts
> with an email [1] whose caveats you should bear in mind:
>
> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2005-February/006049.html
>
> It seems that the old format has undefined references that the new
> module format doesn't allow. If you just use the gcc command line
> specified in [1], you get undefined references to firegl_PM4Alloc.
> Following advice in [2], I tore apart the libfglrxdrm.a and linked both
> of those object files with fglrx_drv.o. Then I started getting undefined
> symbols from XAA. Aha -- progress!
[snip]
You don't really need to link all these files into the driver, there is
a simpler method. You can find it here, somewhere down the page:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33803476
Note though these linker tricks do not work on x86_64, since the linker
will flatout refuse to link code compiled witout -fPIC into a shared object.

Roland