Getting the big picture from config file for driver configuration & validation

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 05:36:06 PST 2005

On Llu, 2005-03-14 at 22:45, Michel Hubert wrote:
> For example, let's take a triple head configuration in Xinerama.  3
> ScrnInfoRec are created, and PreInit() is called for each one.  Using
> Entity Private Data, each one can know how many outputs have been
> requested up to now and to some degree, what are the requested
> features.  But this implies that the complete config validation has to
> be reperformed each time a new pScrn is added and that adds a lot of
> unncessary complexity.

It hurts performance at startup which ought to be minor. I'm not so sure
about the complexity side although I've no idea how your driver looks.

If you've got a single routine that takes a list of screens and
validates them then you end up calling it three times, each with more
data than the last but the routine itself is no more complex than it has
to be anyway ?