[Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: FB model basic issues (WAS: radeon, apertures & memory mapping)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 15 15:50:52 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 07:37 +0800, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:36, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> > >
> > > You wouldn't have to guess its location, look at fix.smem_start.
> >
> > But how would someone mmap() the whole memory then? matroxfb already plays
>
> This is multi-head, right?  That implies one fb per head.  So,  can't you do
> separate mmaps?  fb0->fix.smem_start|len and fb1->fix.smem_start|len.

Sure, re-read the thread :) Also, he's worried about management of
offscreen memory. (which is an issue too because of possible problems
with the setup of the apertures -> start of the discussion, and because
it seems that directFB has only been tested on little endian machines
(damn them !) and thus doesn't understand the problem with swapper on
framebuffer access).

Ben.