XOrg freeze that affects a lot of people

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Mar 20 12:13:12 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 14:53 -0500, Anton Markov wrote:

> Once again, it is weird that the keyboard can not be used to kill the
> Xorg server; often not even Alt-SysRq works. Would a driver problem lock
> the Xorg server so badly that it doesn't let the kernel see the
> keyboard? Or is it the CPU usage that prevents keyboard events from
> being read?

If Alt-SysRq doesn't work, the machine is probably either spinning in
kernel mode or dead at the hardware level.

> >> The problem is in fact driver related.  It afflicted me when I upgraded
> >> to the most recent (7167) proprietary nvidia drivers, and downgrading
> >> fixed things for my desktop.  Many of the sufferers use Ati cards and
> >> there appears to be no standard version of the Ati drivers that works,
> >> much more problematic than the nvidia drivers where version prior to
> >> 7167 seem to have generally been stable for the majority of users.
>
> Yes, the ATI drivers have been suffering from this problem to a varing
> degree since at least Xorg 6.8 (that's when I started using Xorg).

It's very unlikely the same issue in both drivers though. And as has
been pointed out several times already in this thread, issues that are
specific to drivers that don't ship with X.org are off topic here.