Building 32-bit server on 64-bit system?

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Mar 31 01:02:22 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Is there a known incantation, short of using a cross-compiler, to build
> a 32-bit i386 server on an 64-bit x86-64 system?
>
> I tried setting CcCmd (and CplusplusCmd) to "gcc -m32", adding #undef
> AMD64Architecture, and adding #define i386Architecture to my hosts.def.
>   After copying libfl.a from a 32-bit system to /usr/lib, I can get
> things most of the way built.  However, I'm now hitting problems with
> the freetype2 and fontconfig libraries.
>
> I figure that *someone* must have already gone through this exercise
> once by now.
>
> /me wants a modularized libglx and libGLcore. :(

This smells like crosscompiling.

The cygwin gcc can compile for mingw too if i add the switch -mno-cygwin to
the gcc commandline. So I've created the directory /usr/i686-pc-mingw/bin and
put wrapper scripts for gcc, cc, g++ and the binutils there and compiled Xorg
with make World CROSSCOMPILEDIR=/usr/i686-pc-mingw/bin

The crosscompile environment should settle everything else.

BTW: I've also added UseInstalledOnCrossCompile YES to host.def

bye
	ago
 Alexander.Gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723