Freezing protocol modules (was: Change list from 6.8 to HEAD, and 7.0 plans)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat May 21 14:26:52 PDT 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 17:01, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > So, it's the 22nd of May.  People who want to do the libs should do so
> > quick smart.  If people want to make any changes to protocol headers,
> > you have until 0001 UTC on the 24th of May (that's about 103 hours from
> > now) to either make your change, or raise a very convincing objection.
> >
> > If not, I'm going to post up tarballs of all the protcol modules and
> > declare them final and that they shouldn't change for R7 unless someone
> > has a really good reason to change it.
> >
> > Alan, does this sit well with you for 6.9?
>
> The only possible protocol change I know of that anyone's working on for
> the 6.9/7.0 timeframe is the Xinerama standard vs. existing practice
> compatibility issue I'm working on (though I haven't spent as much time on
> it lately as I wanted to, so I don't know if it will be done in time).

I can actually think of a few things that may want changing in the protocol
headers themselves before release.  Xinerama BC and GLX updates primarily,
but istr an idea regarding Fixes being proposed a while back (maybe on IRC)
that might need an addition, if it gets implemented.

But those should all be backwards-compatible.  Right now I'm more worried
about the proto headers being basically usable, and they seem to be.  I'd
expect build-time fixes for them to continue to trickle in until basically
the RC stage, but that's fine.  Any structure additions to the headers
themselves should be treated like a bug that needs RM review.

I don't really see a reason to freeze the protocol headers _now_ though.  If
people want to start pre-packaging them and using them, great; presumably
they're doing so because the headers work on the system they care about, and
they'll be making sure that updates from now to release don't break that
system.

- ajax