Keyboard mapping

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun May 22 13:16:36 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 13:59 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/22/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > The mainstream kernel blends all keyboards together, e.g.
> > > no matter which keyboard you type on, the active console
> > > gets it.
> >
> > Only if you're not using evdev.  See bug #968.  In particular if you do
> > EVIOCGRAB on a keyboard it comes out of the default keyboard pool.
>
> My plan for Xgl is to evdev.
>
> > evdev is totally keymap-agnostic, that's handled in XKB within the server.
> > The ruby stuff may still be necessary for people who want multiple text
> > consoles, but I don't have words for how little that interests me.
>
> Yes, but you are not the only person in the world. I have learned the
> hard way that there are many people still very highly attached to
> their text consoles. I'd like to explore a solution where keymaps are
> unified between Xgl and the kernel.
>
> A simple solution may be for Xgl to implement the keymap but to read
> the kernel keymap files. That would get around the kernel problem of
> only having a single kernel keymap. It would also mean the maps are
> defined in a single place.

Remember, the end goal for Xgl isn't "X for console nuts" (no offense
intended for any such reading this), but rather to replace the XAA-based
X server.

As such, XKB support and compatibility with the existing solutions
people are using is much more important than matching the kernel's
keymap files.

Regards,
						Owen