Xegl lives!

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Tue May 24 14:47:55 PDT 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:

> Sun will need to think about it's GUI strategy in world where Mac,
>
>Linux and Windows (Longhorn) are all running full accelerated
>composting and drawing systems. Once you play with a fully accelerated
>system it is hard to go back - the differences in look and feel are
>obvious.

Jon:

You're making an assumption that Sun has its head in the sand.  I think
you're missing
the point.

We are at once blessed with about the longest history of shipping GL
capable systems
to technical GL application users while at the same time we are behind
the competition
in delivering a GL-enabled desktop to non-GL application users.

Similar to Alan's messages, we have existing constuents, and we are
bringing our Solaris forward
with Xorg, Mesa, x86, etc pretty rapidly.  The notion that hw GL shall
be ubiquitous is tied to fat desktops.
Its replacing X-protocol bigotry with GL bigotry.
At some line below that ( Sunray, ltsp, X-on-windows?) a lot of people
are dead-ended.
If you don't have an answer for them (and their developers), you won't
get their support.

Jon, you and I had a long discussion in Feb about these kinds of
tensions as they affect our ability
to build the systems that you feel are so obviously right to do.   If
you want to attract more
developers to cooperate with your vision, focus more on motivating
points and less on deprecating
or isolating ones.  I would like to see a migration path that I can sign
up to.

skk