Xegl lives!

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:00:00 PDT 2005

On 5/25/05, Matthew Allum <mallum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On 5/25/05, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Shiny fast 3D can be had for $10 now. For cell phones/Ipaq use
> > software mesa. Software mesa provides full OpenGL on nothing but a
> > dumb framebuffer.
> >

> If theres any floating point happening here, cell phone/Ipaq/Zaurus
> performance will simply fall flat on its face ( no fpu ).
>
> Though its worth noting that 3D mobile chipsets ( higher end ATI
> Imageon and intel 2700g for example ) are beginning to become pretty
> common. I suspect in a couple of years it will be hard to find a cell
> phone/PDA without H/W 3D esp as the games on them try to compete with
> things like the Sony PSP. That said there is still the issue of Linux
> drivers existing for such chipsets - I believe the 2700g has some
> specs for it but not the imageons.
>
> I will try in the next couple of week to get Xegl running on an ARM
> PDA and see how bad ( or good :) )  things are.

OpenGL-ES is designed to run on the ARM. That flavor of OpenGL
supports integer only operation. There are several OpenGL-ES stacks
for the ARM but none are free. Xgl should run on OpenGL-ES but it may
need some tweaks.

This one looks promising
http://ogl-es.sourceforge.net/
http://www.khronos.org/opengles/spec/

I wouldn't expect that taking a desktop server and simply compiling it
for ARM is going to work very well.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com