Xegl lives!

Allen Akin akin at pobox.com
Wed May 25 11:12:46 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:49:49AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
| Allen, I've always been suspicious that the Cairo imaging model wasn't
| really compatible with the OpenGL one but I lack the background to
| make a true comparison. Are the models really compatible?

I don't know the subtleties of Cairo well enough to give you a good
answer.  Maybe the Glitz folks will chime in.

My impression is that there are no showstoppers, just some semantics
that are awkward to implement on GPUs.  I think most of this is due to
characteristics of the PostScript rendering model, rather than to Cairo.
The compositing semantics might be an exception.

| If we had started with OpenGL and worked backwards to produce a Cairo
| like API, how would it be different? ...

Hard for me to say, because it depends a lot on what the toolkit folks
are interested in doing and how the manpower could be divided between
the graphics and the toolkit implementations.

Allen