Getting to a GL based X server

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Sat May 28 04:18:24 PDT 2005

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Friday 27 May 2005 15:04, Ian Romanick wrote:
>
>>Adam Jackson wrote:
>>
>>>KAA basically just accelerates blits and solid fills (and Render blends,
>>>but we're assuming no hardware alpha).  I really wouldn't worry about
>>>line drawing at all; it never gets used by real apps and it almost
>>>assuredly won't conform to the X spec.
>>
>>That's *it*?  To do this, how many functions does the driver expose?
>>The idea of adding one or two trivial GL extensions that expose fast
>>paths for all the KAA functionality is sounding better and better to me.
>

> Look at KaaScreenInfoRec in xserver/hw/kdrive/src/kdrive.h.  Basically for
> each of Solid, Copy, Blend, Composite and Trapezoid you have a three
> functions: PrepareFoo, Foo, DoneFoo.  There's also two helpers to control
> uploading pixmaps to the card.
>
> I don't think there are any cards with no 3D engine but with a hardware alpha
> channel, so we're really only considering Solid and Copy plus the helpers, so
> that's all of eight functions.

For SiS cards newer than the 300 series there is "no 3D engine" due to a
lack of docs, but a 2D engine that can do alpha blended blits. Using
this right now for RENDER acceleration.

>>There are three bits of information that would be interesting to gather.
>>  I think this will help guide where effort should be applied first.
>>
>>1. Which cards are in which categories based on available drivers &
>>documentation *today*?  The Permedia2 is technically a category 1 card,
>>but is in category 3 today.
>

> Assuming we're referring only to drivers in Mesa and Xorg:
>
> 1) ffb (barely), i810 (and successors), mach64, mga (g200+), rage128, r100,
> r200, savage (3d and 4), sis (300 and 315 series only), tdfx (voodoo3+),
> trident (barely), unichrome, 3dlabs gamma (kinda)

Slight correction: SiS 300 series only.

>>2. Which cards would be in different categories with additional
>>documentation?  The FireGL2 is in category 4, but could be in category 1.
>

> I'll drop "with additional documentation" for this response, there are some
> that are documented that no one's done anything with yet:
>
> nvidia (nv1 and nv3+), rendition, sis (everything else), xgi, one or two
> cirrus cards, neomagic magicmedia 256xl+, 3dlabs non-gamma, voodoo 1 and 2,
> i128, siliconmotion, ati r300 and r400, intel i740/i752, powervr, sunleo (and
> anything else newer than sunffb), various SGI/DEC/HP/IBM/E&S workstation
> cards, mga p-series, firegl's 1 through 4, various tridents, s3 deltachrome
> and gammachrome, ixmicro, savage 2k.  and then about a dozen more first-gen
> cards that were announced but may not have ever actually shipped, and a fair
> stack of embedded chips from people like broadcom and bitboys.

Corresponding: Anything from SiS except 300 series.

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria