Xegl lives!

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Sun May 29 12:25:25 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 02:15:36PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> So as far as I can see, your assertion that userspace mode setting requires
> root depends solely on the assumption that it is the job of the privilege
> model to protect the hardware.  And it's not.  The job of the privilege model
> is to protect the software.

Nope, the job of the priviledge model is to protect the system, and
that's both the hardware and the software.  See the scsi command
filter in recent-ish linux kernels to that ensure non-priviledged
users can't flash the firmware of devices.

Now as to whether allowing mode setting from userspace is a good idea,
that's an entirely different problem :-)

  OG.