Gradients for Xrender

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Tue May 31 05:18:07 PDT 2005

Keith Packard wrote:
> But, I expect we'll add other 'virtual pictures', and even other
> gradients.  If these other gradients don't use approximately the same
> kinds of parameters, we'll have to add new requests then.

Good point :-). But the data part in the X request is there for the
purpose, so it's possible to keep the 'base' request general purpose
and use different data for different gradients.

> I think one
> level of dispatch is sufficient here, and creating multiple requests
> doesn't really change the amount of code needed in the server at all.
> Look at Render's different text requests (8,16,32).  They all funnel
> through common code on both sides of the wire.

This was exactly the piece of code I had in mind :-). The dispatcher
has to do some work to fill the structures already, so I'd had expected
to see a single X request for all three. Anyway it's mainly a matter
of philosophy. I'd like to see the X protocol to remain lean and avoid
the mess that XKB extension is. Anyway I admit that I'm biased here...
Considered the type of work I'm personally doing, I'll try to oppose
the proliferation of wire protocol's requests as much as I can ;-).

/Gian Filippo.