XDarwin failing w/ "Unable to load nib file: MainMenu" on XOrg v6.8.99.8 on OSX 10.4.1

Torrey Lyons torrey at mrcla.com
Tue May 31 15:21:34 PDT 2005

At 2:48 PM -0700 5/31/05, OpenMacNews wrote:
>hi torrey,
>
>thx for your reply.
>
>short story --
>
>(a) a lndir works, but only w/ absolute path
>(b) the resultant XDarwin.app links nib files to the xorg SOURCE tree
>(c) cp'ing the nib files is NOT sufficient

I think the even shorter story is not to use shadow directories with
Mac OS X. They are not worth the trouble with XCode. (The problem is
that XCode uses 'cp -fRP' to move the bundle contents into place. It
really should use 'cp -fRL' so that symlinks are followed. I filed an
enhancement request to make this an option back in May 2002, but I'm
not holding my breath.)

In any case, you can of course get everything fixed up after the fact
with cp, but it appears you need to do it for all the localizations.
I never tried to just fix up one although I hoped it would work. Back
when I was using shadow directories I had a script that copied all
symlinks in XDarwin.app and this is what I used for binary releases.
Eventually I decided that if it hurts when I use shadow
directories... well you know the rest of the joke.

--Torrey