Xinerama on two different X Servers?

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Tue May 31 18:20:50 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 05:22:42PM -0700, Jay Cotton wrote:
> Joseph Pingenot wrote:
> >From Jay Cotton on Tuesday, 31 May, 2005:
> >
> >>look at
> >>dmx.sourceforge.net
> >

> >dmx looks quite interesting.  However, it seems like such functionality
> >  should reside in Xorg.
> >How hard would it be to put the dmx proxy server in the standard Xorg
> >  distribution?
>
> fascinating idea,  however the DMX project is not part of X.org, and not
> sure if they want to be a part.  I would like to see this (extension)
> more closely connected to X.

Actually, we are already part of X.Org.  DMX was checked into X.Org CVS
almost a year ago and was included in X11R6.8 and subsequent releases.
Also, all of our recent bug fixing has been done in X.Org CVS.

> >In more distant future, it seems like proxy functionality would be quite
> >  useful if built into the Xserver itself.  How much work would it entail
> >  to give the Xorg xserver the ability to proxy screens to other hosts?

It would require some infrastructure work to allow both local and proxy
screens to co-exist.  Integrating the two config systems would require a
fair amount of work.  The dynamic reconfiguration in DMX would need to
be extended to handle the static local screens (e.g., what does it mean
to detach from a local screen?  is it equivalent to a VT switch?).  The
input side would also require quite a bit of work to either make them
co-exist or port one to use the other's code.  The rest of the code
should be mostly separable along screen boundaries.

Kevin