Feature request: modular config files

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Tue Nov 1 03:38:38 PST 2005

Johan wrote:

>> There is nothing worse than wandering through 20 config files trying to
>> figure out what to change where.  The X config file is not that large
>> and is pretty easy to understand once you get the hang of it.
>>
>> Jeremy
>>

> The advantage is the current methode can still be used. Because the
> new style is build up of seperate files included in the main file.
> Settings can easily be changed by renaming a include instead of copy
> pasting (commenting uncommenting) text from templates or manual's.
>
> Also config files for many common devices can be included with the
> default build. Since they don't get used until they are included. This
> way it would also be easier for new users to make ther first xorg config.
>
> A parser would be able to split/combine the files so the full config
> file still excists and can be used as normal. And since every seperate
> config file will be named by the section name combined with the
> indentifier there would be no conflict splitting up the full config to
> segments.
>
> Version support would also be easy because versions can be included in
> the indetifier.

If something should be changed with the config files I think it's the
complete use of it. I think configuring shouldn't really be needed, and
if needed it should be done in-x by a nice gui which reads the current
config (which perhaps should be xml) and lets you change stuff. X should
really load basic and then autosense the keyboard, monitor, graphics
(vga if proprietary) and then set this config. Then you should load a
gui which lets you change the settings, and the settings of the driver.
This is also better for getting all options for a driver perhaps.