Apple 23" Cinema HD Display vs. radeon

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Nov 2 02:31:31 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 10:10 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 00:22, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 00:21 +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> > > Ok, so I finally found some of the causes for the problems with the
> > > Apple 23" Cinema HD Display and X.org.
> >
> > I am considering getting a Mac mini with a 23" Cinema Display and I
> > want to run it with Free Software.  So, what is the status with the
> > problem above?  Has it it been fixed in the xorg CVS?  If not, do you
> > still have hopes of ever getting it to work?  (Maybe I could help a
> > bit...)
>
> You'd better buy a DELL 2405FPW. It's a 24", cheaper, and works
> beautifully with linux. As a bonus it has a all-in-one card reader.

While I agree that the Dell is probably a better deal, the Apple works
beautifully with linux too :) The main problem is the Mac mini who is
using the DDC_CRT2 line for it's single DVI port, which seem to prevent
X.org from detecting the display at all unless you give it the modeline.

You can get the modeline from radeonfb, by doing fbset -x, radeonfb
itself gets it from the firmware.

Ben.