Ripe for adding new modelines?

Thu Nov 3 11:52:14 PST 2005

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> There is, in fact, a spec for LCD modelines.  It's called CVT, and at
>> least nvidia's driver implements it directly.  However VESA are big
>> meanies and make you pay to see the formula.
>

> If it's not astronomical, we could talk to the X.Org Foundation sponsors
> about
> paying to get access for a developer or two willing to work on it.
>
> (For that matter, I think Sun is a full VESA member, if there's
> something we can
>  lookup - I'd have to check with the right people to see what we can do
> with the
>  docs we get from VESA though, since I've never looked at that before.)

I finally got in contact with our VESA rep, and we can't share the docs with
non-Sun employees.   He thinks it should only be a couple of hundred dollars
for the X.Org Foundation to purchase a copy, so if someone is interested in
working on this, I'd suggest putting together a quick proposal to the X.Org
Sponsors Group to fund this.   Stuart Krietman, the sponsors group chair,
should be able to help figure out what they'd want to see - I assume someone
who already has Xorg CVS access and a track record of delivering would not
have much of a problem in convincing the sponsors to fund this, but since I'm
not directly involved I can't say.

(Our VESA rep/monitor guru does think CVT support in Xorg would be an
  excellent idea though.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com