[patch] Use dlsym instead of glXGetProcAddress in xdriinfo

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:19:24 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 22:28 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:37:35AM -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > Because someone builds and installs Xorg, then installs the nvidia
> > driver, then goes to upgrade Xorg at a later date, and the build of the
> > apps (since we've got the monolithic build split into apps, libs,
> > servers) fails.  This won't even go away with modular since we'd still
> > expect xdriinfo to be built and installed by an xorg metapackage.
> >
> > The alternative would be for the user to set a flag telling the
> > metapackage that they've got nvidia installed so don't build xdriinfo.
> > That's not very nice.
>
> Umm, so they shouldn'tg install nvidias libGL.  The modular X clearly
> depends on mesa as libGL.  Maybe this problem should be documented more
> cleanly so people are aware what mess they cause by blindly installing
> another libGL.

Excuse me?  The solution to X.Org being broken in the presence of
non-Mesa libGL is to not use 3d hardware acceleration at all?  Of all of
X.Org, this was the one app that failed with nvidia's libGL.  Also,
they're not using modular here, though the problem would remain the same
with modular.

I hate binary drivers as much as the next guy, but seriously, does this
patch cause any harm, in exchange for many users (I've had two
duplicates of reports of this in the last week) being happier?

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org