xv shines "through" other windows

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:56:25 PST 2005

On 11/24/05, Hanno Böck <ml at hboeck.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this has been reported before, couldn't find it in the
> bugzilla, but I didn't really know how to search for it:
>
> I'm using modular xorg (gentoo) with a radeon 9200 (free/xorg driver, not
> fglrx).
> When I'm watching a video with xv (e.g. with mplayer or tvtime) and switch to
> another window that is located before the xv-window, the video "shines
> through" (don't know how to describe this better), which means everything
> that should be black in windows located in front of the xv shows parts of the
> video.
>
> I can open a bug if this is not reported already. If it already is, please
> point me to a bug number (and I'd suggest to make this a blocker for 7.0
> release).

try changing your colorkey.  the way most overlays work is that the
video is painted on a colorkey, so if the window you are moving
infront of the overlay has colors on it that are the same as the
colorkey the viceo will get drawn on them as well.  that's why most
apps use blue or pink as the colorkey.

Alex